23andMe, named after the number of chromosome pairs in humans, is a consumer genetics and research company. Co-founded by Linda Avey and Anne Wojcicki, 23andMe has plans to make the human genome searchable. The company aims to help people understand what their genes mean by indexing the genes and highlighting significant findings. 23andMe allows its customers to study their ancestry, genealogy, and inherited traits by analyzing their DNA from saliva samples. The company also markets to researchers and scientists, for whom they provide categorized and searchable data.
23andMe was founded in 2006 in the San Francisco Bay Area.
How It Works
23andMe’s next stage? Using DNA data to help you make better health choices
Fast Company - Oct 24, 2019
IRS Greenlights Tax Breaks for Buyers of 23andMe Genetic Tests
Wall Streets Journal - Jul 22, 2019
How to Protect Your DNA Data Before and After Taking an at-Home Test
New York Times - Jun 12, 2019
Live Long And Prosper: How Anne Wojcicki’s 23andMe Will Mine Its Giant DNA Database For Health And Wealth
Forbes - Jun 6, 2019
Airbnb Partners With 23andMe To Recommend Heritage Inspired Vacations
Forbes - Jun 5, 2019
23andMe’s Growth Slows
Wall Streets Journal - Feb 8, 2019
Health Catalyst Hits $1 Billion Valuation With Latest Financing
Wall Streets Journal - Feb 7, 2019
23andMe Responds: Empowering Consumers
New York Times - Feb 5, 2019
NY Times, Why Are You So Worried About 23andMe's Genetic Tests?
Forbes - Feb 4, 2019
23andMe updates its ancestry reports, but they’re still not perfect
TechCrunch - Jan 15, 2019
- Anne Wojcicki, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer
- Steve Schoch, Chief Financial Officer
- Kathy Hibbs, Chief Legal and Regulatory Officer
- Kenneth Hillan, Head of Therapeutics
- Emily Drabant Conley, Vice President, Business Development
- Amy Satrom, Vice President, Operations
- Mike Polcari, Vice President, Chief Architect
- Katie Watson, Vice President, Communications
- Tracy Keim, Vice President, Consumer Marketing & Brand
- Steve Lemon, Vice President, Engineering
- Arnab Chowdry, Vice President, Genetic Technology
- Joyce Tung, Vice President, Research
- Robert Gentleman, Vice President, Computational Biology
EquityZen does not have an affiliation with, formal relationship with, or endorsement from 23andMe or any companies featured above.
This profile is based on publicly available information and is intended to be informative in nature.
EQUITYZEN and logo are trademarks of EquityZen Inc. Other trademarks are property of their respective owners.